November 26, 2011

Review: Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves

Title: Bleeding Violet
Author: Dia Reeves
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Edition: Paperback, 480
Genre: YA, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Release Date: December 7th 2010
Source: paperback

Summary (from Goodreads)
Love can be a dangerous thing....

Hanna simply wants to be loved. With a head plagued by hallucinations, a medicine cabinet full of pills, and a closet stuffed with frilly, violet dresses, Hanna's tired of being the outcast, the weird girl, the freak. So she runs away to Portero, Texas in search of a new home.

But Portero is a stranger town than Hanna expects. As she tries to make a place for herself, she discovers dark secrets that would terrify any normal soul. Good thing for Hanna, she's far from normal. As this crazy girl meets an even crazier town, only two things are certain: Anything can happen and no one is safe.


My Review: 

My first impression of this book and the main character, Hanna, blew me away. And I'm not talking about the "Wow, this book is amazing" kind of way either. More or less the "Wow, this girl is crazy, what will she do next" kind of way.

When my step-daughter's friend first told me of this book, I was told that it was about a girl running away fro home and encounters ghosts and the like, which had me intrigued. But when I started to read this truely strange book I began to realize that she was wrong and I began to wonder what would happen next to this manic-depressed girl named Hanna. She alone, with the help of her new boyfriend, Wyatt, urged me to continue reading this oddly fascinating book by Dia Reeves.

Nothing is as it seems in Portero, TX. Not only do you have Hanna trying to live with a mother she never knew and who never wanted her, she starts realizing things are just as odd and out there as she is. You've got these strange monsters that lure you to the windows only to suck out your life and turn you to glass, giants leeches that fly, possessions and the ones who are supposed to stop it all from happening, the Mortmaine. You'll just have to read this for yourselves on what happens to everyone, no spoilers here, lol.

I gave this book 3.5 out of 5 stars because of the strangeness of this first book by Dia Reeves. The writing was amazing, and the story was addictive (I read the book in 3 days, lol). But the overall feel of it left me wondering why these things were in Portero, TX and how they got there, and there was no explanation as to how they just were there in the first place. I think that if I got a better understanding as to how these "things" came to this town, and no other town, then my rating would have been higher. But this was a great book, and I think that anyone who likes strange and out of the ordinary things, you will love this book.

Make sure you check out her next novel, Slice of Cherry.


Star Rating:








1 comments:

Midnight said...

Hmm, I believe I am the type of person who likes strange and out of ordinary things that you mentioned xD
This book looks really crazy!
Putting it to my TBR list ^^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...