November 11, 2011

Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Title: Sisters Red
Author: Jackson Pearce
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: Paperback, 324
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
Release Date: June 7th 2010
Series: Fairytale Retellings
Source: purchased paperback

Summary (from Goodreads)
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

My Review:

Ok, so this book was really quite good to me. The writer has a way of catching you from the beginning and pulling you in and on a ride. Right from the very beginning I was intrigued by the characters and their story and felt horribly bad for the two sisters, Scarlett and Rosie. But, as the story progressed I had some problems with the story, and I will explain.

First of all, I had problems grasping onto to the name of the werewolves she used. "Fenris", and I assume that the only reason that I had a hard time with it is because I have never read the name or heard of the name before this book. So I grasped the change in name. I'm always good with change.

Second, as much as I loved the sisters connection after losing their grandmother at such a young age and Scarlett's revenge driven angst and Rosie's need to branch out from hunting, I did not like how overly protective and selfish Scarlett had gotten with her sister and her happiness. Always thinking they way she did towards her (Rosie's) happiness and how angry she was with Silas drove me completely insane. And once you read it, you will know why.

Lastly, the story was predictable from about halfway through the book on.

But the story also had good points and I will touch on those as well, because not everyone likes to hear how bad a story may be. As I have said, the sisters share a special bond with one another. They feel as if they are twins that were born in two totally different years and share the same heart. Rosie has a passion to be free while Scarlett has a passion to hunt Fenris, the ones that scarred her from an early age.

Rosie has a hard time knowing what she wants until Silas comes back into their lives and changes everything. She starts viewing the world differently. That is why I like Rosie so much. She is able to see the beauty in things and know that there is life outside of hunting.

Scarlett has a strong passion for hunting. Lives, breathes and longs for hunting. She is very determined and strong willed, which I also like that about her.

I gave this book 3.5 stars because of the things that I didn't like about it, not because of the writer. The writer is a brilliant woman and knows how to write a story quite well. I do recommend this book to anyone 15 years or older.


Star Rating:






0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...