July 11, 2013

Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

Title: Beautiful Creatures
Author: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Little, Brown & Company
Genre: YA, UF, Witches
Release Date: Feb 4, 2010
Source: Purchased
Purchase: TBD | Amazon
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
 
I was determined to read this book before I watched the movie. I had not been so lucky with previous book to movie adaptations, such as Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Twilight and a few others. So I was glad that once I got done reading some of the books on my TBR pile I had a chance to dive right into this one.

A phenomenal debut novel for authors Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. The story was captivating and alluring. It immediately pulled me right into their world. Very few books grab my attention within the first sentence, it usually takes a little longer to pull me in. I felt as if I was there in Gatlin, South Carolina right along with Ethan and Lena as they went on their adventure to find answers to their past as well as their future together.

This story was very well written. It made the reader feel like they were there. I could see the town and the people. I guess it also helped that I lived in Louisiana for four years, so it wasn't much of a stretch from one place to the other.

The characters were also great. I loved Ethan's character. Most of the books I had read lately were from the point of view of a young woman, so it was quite refreshing to have it from the point of view of a young man. Ethan is the determined type. Determined to be with Lena and determined to find a way to keep her safe and with him.

Lena was also a great character. She was an outcast at her other schools and immediately the outcast at Jackson High just because of her heritage. It mad me wish I was there just to knock the snobby girls out and put them in their place.

Macon, Amma and Link were great supporting characters as well. I love the support that Link gave and the cool calm of Macon. Amma was my favorite with her attitudes and they way she talked. She made me laugh a few times just because of how visually clear everything was. I could just picture her and her attitude with Ethan and Macon.

I think all and all this was an amazing story. I cannot wait to read Beautiful Darkness, the second book of the series. I will also be watching the movie tonight and hope that it's as great as the book and nothing is left out as with so many other book to movie adaptions.


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...