August 27, 2013

{Review} Chime by Franny Billingsley

Title: Chime
Author: Franny Billingsley
Publisher: Speak
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Witches
Release Date: April 12th 2012
Source: Won from Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | TBD

Briony has a secret. It is a secret that killed her stepmother, ruined her sister's mind, and will end her life, if anyone were to know. She has powers. Then Eldric comes along with his golden lion eyes and a great mane of tawny hair. He is as natural as the sun, and he treats her as if she is extraordinary. And everything starts to change . . . Chime is a haunting, brilliantly written novel that will stay with you--its magic, its romance, its world like none other.
This book is totally not what I expected, and I don't mean that in a good way this time.  I couldn't finish this book and put it down and walked away at chapter 10.

Briony feels as if her Stepmother's death is her fault, that her sister's child-like mind is her fault and she doesn't want to be what she is, a witch. All that is what pulled me into the book. It sounded very interesting. But when I started to read it, I was totally lost, didn't understand what was going on or what time period we were in. When I'm reading a book I like to know what time period it takes place in, especially since it has to do with witches. Are we talking about witches from the 1700's or modern day witches or futuristic witches? They way they talked made it sound like older witches but then there was talk about "Bible Balls" and that made me think dystopian.

The story had you curious about everything. Briony was talking about how she was like a wolfchild and then a witch. She could also hear spirits. It was confusing to me.

The characters were decent enough. I really did like Briony and Eldric. They seem like they would make a cute enough couple too. Even Rose with her child-like mind was favorable. The rest of the characters were alright as well.

To me this book should be rated at a one. But because I liked the characters and the book cover was attractive, I gave it two butterflies. If anyone is brave enough to attempt reading this then I would recommend this to anyone 15 and older.


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...