September 17, 2013

{Review} Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

Title: Shattered Souls (Souls #1)
Author: Mary Lindsey
Publisher: Speak/Penguin
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Release Date: December 8th 2011
Source: Gifted
Purchase: Amazon | TBD

Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.

Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.
When I first saw this book, I automatically fell in love with the cover. I mean, heck, who wouldn’t, have you seen it? It sat on my shelf for a good while, I won’t lie, but I finally decided to take it out and take it for a spin, so to speak. I am so glad that I did. The story was fantastic, with a little romance, horror, mystery and a little of a tearful ending. It’s a great mix you can’t beat!

Lenzi believes she is going crazy like her father when she is confronted by voices of the unseen. Her boyfriend, Zak, is a bit of a possessive jerk and her mom is a workaholic (from what I gathered). Enter Alden. Mysterious and handsome with an explanation of what is happening to Lenzi, even if she doesn’t want any part of it.

The characters in this story are amazing. Lenzi is the stubborn sort of heroine but became a very strong person towards the middle of this book, which I think was good for her. She finally got a sense of what she wanted and went for it. Alden was also amazing and a good support system for Lenzi. I think they complimented each other perfectly. He was constantly there for Lenzi, even when her boyfriend became a possessive, drunken, jerk.

The story was awesome. It had a little bit of budding romance with a bit of a darker history. As Lenzi started to embrace who she was, she became stronger as a person. Lindsey knows how to add dark twists to the story, and she delivered quite well. There were a few chilling spots here and there, which was a nice take. Then there were even some spots where I had actually CRIED! I don’t usually cry when reading a book, but when you become attached to the characters, its hard not to.


I love stories that can keep me engrossed in what is going on and keep me wanting more. But I love more than anything the aspect of the paranormal. When you have those two things in a story, you know its just going to be anything short of amazing.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...