September 9, 2013

{Review} Venom by Fiona Paul

Title: Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose #1)
Author: Fiona Paul
Publisher: Philomel
Genre: YA, Historical, Mystery
Release Date: October 30, 2012
Source: Gifted from Author
Purchase: Amazon | TBD

Cassandra Caravello is one of Renaissance Venice’s lucky elite: with elegant gowns, sparkling jewels, her own lady’s maid, and a wealthy fiancĂ©, she has everything a girl could desire. Yet ever since her parents’ death, Cassandra has felt trapped, alone in a city of water, where the dark and labyrinthine canals whisper of escape.

When Cass stumbles upon a murdered woman—practically in her own backyard—she’s drawn into a dangerous world of courtesans, killers, and secret societies. Soon, she finds herself falling for Falco, a mysterious artist with a mischievous grin... and a spectacular skill for trouble. Can Cassandra find the murderer, before he finds her? And will she stay true to her fiancĂ©, or succumb to her uncontrollable feelings for Falco?

Beauty, love, romance, and mystery weave together in a stunning novel that’s as seductive and surprising as the city of Venice itself.
This was a captivating and mesmorizing read from start to finish. It took me a while to get to the book, since it was buried on my TBR bookshelf, but when my daughter pulled the slip out of our TBR Jar, I searched for it and started to read it right away. At first, it was a little difficult for me to read and embrace, but once I started to read, I was hooked.

You are taken into a world, much different then our own. It feels as if the reader is transported in time to Renaissance Italy, a time where the elite and the hard working man did not cross paths and were forbidden to do so. But that didn't stop young Cassandra from following her instints and go on the hunt for a dangerous murderer, one that was killing courtesans and leaving "X" marks over their hearts. And it certainly did not stop her from doing it with the mysterious and gorgeous artist, Falco. 

The characters were amazing as was the story. It left the reader wanting more and second guessing "who done it". I found myself always trying to figure out who the murderer was, and when I finally thought I had it figured out, I was finding that my conclusions were wrong. That's what I love about stories. I don't like knowing from the beginning who it is, I love playing detective right along with the hero or heroine. I'm a sucker for murder mysteries. 

With a great cast of characters and great story, this book is a sure hit. It even leaves the reader at the end wanting more. With the knowledge that there is more to come, who can wait for the second installment.


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...