November 28, 2013

[Review] The Selection by Kiera Cass

Title: The Selection (The Selection #1)
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Dystopia, Romance, Young Adult
Release Date: March 26, 2013
Source: Gifted, RAK
Purchase: Amazon | TBD | Kobo | B&N

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

So, what did I think about The Selection? About 35 girls competing for one princes affections? Well I can honestly say, I thought it was a pretty great read! I don't know why I have waited so long to crack it open and read it. (Besides the fact that I have a TBR list a mile long!)

I don't normally like "love-triangles", but this one pulled me in. You know the reason I don't like the whole triangle thing is because I always have a hard time deciding who the main character should end up with, because, let's face it, most of the time, both guys usually have the same amount of great qualities. But in this book, I can already tell you who my favorite is, and it's not Aspen.

So let's start talking about Aspen. He has gorgeous green eyes (I'm a complete and total sucker for green eyes!), dark hair and a totally caring personality. Throw in the fact that he's older and very responsible, and you have yourself a great catch. But, behind all that, you have a temper, and, coming from someone that has seen way too many tempers, it's not that attractive. There is also the fact that he doesn't see himself as good enough for America. So, he has a temper and low self-esteem. Not two of my favorite qualities. However, toward the end, he does come around to try to win back America's affections.

Now let's look at Maxon. Sure, he's the crowned prince, so who wouldn't want to marry him? But he also has a sweet side. He's caring and shy and a little unsure of himself when it comes to girls, but deep down, he knows what he wants and he is desperate to stand out and to show his father that he has what it takes to run the country.

And lastly, we have America. Whose heart was seriously broken by the boy she loved so desperately and whose mother and boyfriend pushed her to sign up for the Selection. She sacrificed her happiness for her family and her boyfriend. She is strong willed and determined. Everything I like about a heroine. Take the three of them and put them into this book and you have yourself one great story.

I just really enjoyed this book, I finished it quite fast, compared to most of the other books I have read. I will admit, I was a little confused at the beginning when it came to "castes" and the way things were, but I quickly understood what was going on and what things meant. I really enjoyed how everything came together and how Cass put a little bit of the history in the book as to how they became the new country Illea, it certainly helped me to understand a little more about it. Most of the time, with the dystopian type books I have read before, the writers leave out that detail and it leaves the readers curious about how things happened. If you are anything like me, my mind wanders and ponders over every little detail. All in all, I must say that as soon as I'm able to, I'm heading to the store to purchase the next book, The Elite.

I completely enjoyed this book. I highly recommend this book to anyone!



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...