November 13, 2013

[Review] These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

Title: These Broken Stars
Author: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
Release Date: Dec 10, 2013
Source: Publisher for Review
Purchase: Amazon | TBD | B&N

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.

Ok, so this was a bit out of the norm for me. I don't really read Dystopian books. For some reason I love watching Sci-fi but I have a hard time reading it and getting pulled in. I had won Across the Universe and A Million Suns when the latter came out, started to read Across the Universe and had to put it down because it just didn't grab my attention like I had hoped it would. It's been sitting on my shelves collecting dust since last year. Now, I did read Wither and thoroughly enjoy it. So it really depends on the book.

These Broken Stars was a pretty awesome book. I kinda suspected that it would turn out the way it did but with a different ending, especially since book 2 in the series has nothing to do with the Tarver and Lilac. But I was pleasantly surprised that it ended the way it did.

The book starts off with a war hero, Tarver Merendsen, on board a luxury space ship. I pictured the Titanic but in space ship form. He encounters Lilac LaRoux and is immediately intrigued by her. Lilac also seems to be attracted to Tarver but soon squashes any emotions she might have towards him because of who she is and who her family is. Soon the Icarus is thrown out of hyperspace and everyone is left rushing to their escape pods in hopes of surviving.

The characters were pleasant enough, however, I was not a big fan of the name Lilac.While I love the flower, the name is not something I would use for a person. Maybe her name could have been Rose or something. But, other than the name, the characters were pretty amazing.

The story seemed to be lacking something. I can't quite put my finger on it though. I think I would have liked to see more out of the deserted planet then what we did see, and maybe that is where it was lacking. But even with that, this was a really great book. I'm glad that I was able to read it and I think now I'm going to try to go back and read Across the Universe.



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...