April 28, 2014

[Review] Fates by Lanie Bross @LanieBross

Title: Fates (Fates #1)
Author: Lanie Bross
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Release Date: February 11, 2014
Source: Random Buzzers

From Goodreads:
One moment. One foolish desire. One mistake. And Corinthe lost everything.

She fell from her tranquil life in Pyralis Terra and found herself exiled to the human world. Her punishment? To make sure people's fates unfold according to plan. Now, years later, Corinthe has one last assignment: kill Lucas Kaller. His death will be her ticket home.

But for the first time, Corinthe feels a tingle of doubt. It begins as a lump in her throat, then grows toward her heart, and suddenly she feels like she is falling all over again--this time for a boy she knows she can never have. Because it is written: one of them must live, and one of them must die. In a universe where every moment, every second, every fate has already been decided, where does love fit in?

Fates was a slightly different read for me. I love the fantasy aspect of this story, I also loved the telling of different worlds that are parallel to ours. But at some points to me, this story didn't flow as smoothly as it should have. For instance some parts felt as if we were reading fantasy and some parts read as science fiction with a tinge of fantasy.

I did enjoy the characters however. Corinthe was an emotionally detached being from Pyralis Terra who is in charge of peoples fates, their destinies. She guides people, without their knowledge, to where they are to end up, whether it be love, birth, death. And then you have Luc, who is struggling to get by and take care of his 15 year old, drug addicted, sister and drunken father. But somehow, the two (Corinthe and Luc) are destined for each other.

This reads like a love story gone wrong, which even made me cry. And if you know me, I HATE crying. I am a very emotional person, so I tend to try to stay away from things that will make me cry. And this one made me shed a tear or two towards the end.

So, with all that said (and I really didn't want to give away too much this time), if you like fantasy, sci-fi, and love stories, this book is definitely for you. And,well, if you don't, I suggest you be like me and give it a try, you might actually like it.




Excerpt:

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...