August 20, 2013

{Review} Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey

Title: Haunting Violet
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Publisher: Walker Children's
Genre: Young Adult, Ghosts, Mystery
Release Date: June 21st 2011
Source: from publisher for review
Purchase: TBD/Amazon

Violet Willoughby doesn't believe in ghosts. But they believe in her. Now that she is being haunted by the ghost of a young woman, Violet can no longer ignore her unique ability. She must discover the mystery behind this girl's violent death, to prevent the ghost's twin sister from suffering the same fate. Fans of Alyx Harvey are in for a treat with this tale of unsolved murder and forbidden romance within the confines of Victorian high society.
 This was a hauntingly romantic, witty and excitement filled paranormal novel. It was a hard one to put down as I started to read and get entranced into this world set in the late 1800’s. I have always been a fan of the era and this really brought me close to it with the way that Harvey wrote each character and developed the story.

Violet is trapped by her loyalty to her mother and the fact that she is only sixteen years old. She doesn’t believe in spirits, which is her mother’s occupation as a fake spiritualist, but it doesn’t mean the spirits don’t believe in her. Should she embrace her gift or run from it? Well, you soon find out once you become so engulfed in this spectacular novel.

The characters were amazing, Violet was written wonderfully and the reader really felt connected to her. I just can’t imagine a world where you are betrothed to be married at sixteen, or even hoping to be married at that age.

I especially liked Colin. And even Elizabeth. Colin was a rugged type of Irishman, and just imagining his accent while he talked was amazing. I love the Irish accent. But that’s not all he has going for him. While I am a sucker for a “bad boy”, I really enjoyed the change of pace with Colin. He had a heart of gold, always looking out for Violet, ever since they were young.  I just pictured him with the boyish charm and babyface.

Elizabeth was great. She was fun and bold and daring. But when it came to boys, mainly Frederic, she was positively head over heals and giddy. She is definitely a true friend, even when Violet thought there was no one left that would trust her, Elizabeth came through.

I would have normally gave this one five stars, but I’m actually giving it four. I just felt as if this story was lacking something more. I would recommend this to anyone ages 14 and older.




0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...